University of Calgary
UofC Navigation

Application Procedures

1. When is the deadline to apply to programs?

Please note that Graduate Programs in Education has varying application deadlines depending on the program.   Please see the How to Apply page for a table of programs and corresponding admission deadline dates.

2. How do I submit my application?

Applications to all Werklund School of Education graduate programs must be submitted online using the Graduate Studies Web Application.  If you have researched the program you are ready to apply for, direct access to the online application can be found at the Faculty of Graduate Studies "Apply Now" link.

3. How should I submit my Official Transcripts?

Official Transcripts are the only documents applicants are required to submit as hard copies.  Applicants must request official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended (including those from which transfer credit is received) and have them mailed or couriered directly to the Graduate Programs in Education office at: 

Graduate Programs in Education 
Werklund School of Education, 
Education Tower 114 
2500 University Dr NW 
Calgary, AB 
T2N 1N4    Canada

4. Can I submit unofficial transcripts?

Unofficial transcripts may be uploaded to the online application as an interim placeholder for evaluation purposes however Official transcripts must be submitted and received in the GPE office by the deadline date noted for each degree to which an application is being made.

5. Is my degree recognized for admission?

Normally, applicants must hold the following minimum qualifications to be considered for admission:

  • A University of Calgary four-year baccalaureate degree or an equivalent degree from a recognized institution. Degrees and grades from foreign institutions are evaluated for their equivalency to those of the University of Calgary.
  • International Students need to consult the Faculty of Graduate Studies policy on degree equivalency at International Requirements for Admission.

6. If my primary language is not English, do I require an English Language Proficiency (ELP) score?

Applicants whose primary language is not English are required to provide proof of proficiency in English for entrance into graduate studies. You may fulfil the requirement in the following ways:

a) An official TOEFL score of at least 580 (written test), or 93 (Internet-based test), or a MELAB score of 82, or an IELTS score of 7.0 or higher must be submitted electronically from the testing facility to the Faculty of Graduate Studies. The test must have been taken within the last two years.

TOEFL testing is now offered through the English for Academic Purposes (EAP) office.  Please email for more information.  You may also visit the official TOEFL website for further testing information at

IELTS testing information can be found at

b) Proficiency may also be met by successful completion of Level III of the International Foundations Program (IFP) with a minimum grade of B in EAP Level III Academic Wrting & Grammar; a minimum grade of C in EAP level III Reading Comprehension & Proficiency; a minimum grade of C in EAP Level III Listening Comprehension & Oral Fluency. 

7. How do I request advanced credit towards my program?

You must request advanced credit in writing upon application to program. This request only applies to course-based programs, e.g., MEd degree, Graduate Diploma, or Graduate Certificate. Please refer to the Advanced Credit policy under Policies and Procedures for details.

8. Do I need a degree to apply?

In certain circumstances, individuals who do not meet formal academic requirements of the Faculty of Graduate Studies, but who have prior learning and significant life achievements, may be considered for admission to some graduate programs. Such candidates are advised to supply additional supporting documents as part of their application package, as outlined in the GPE Guidelines to Establish Degree Equivalency. In all cases, the admission decision rests with the Faculty of Graduate Studies.

9. What do I do after I apply?

After you have submitted your application, you will receive an email with information on your University of Calgary ID number, as well as instructions on how to upload any required program specific documents to your Student Centre and to check the status of your application.