University of Calgary
UofC Navigation

Graduate Programs in Education - Open Studies Students

1. What is an Open Studies Student?

At the University of Calgary, an Open Studies student, formerly called an "Unclassified" student, is a student who is not admitted to any program leading to a degree or diploma, i.e., Master of Education (MEd), but who is permitted to register in credit courses.

2. How do I know if I am an eligible Open Studies Student?

Please refer to the Open Studies Students link for requirements and the application process.

3. How much does it cost to register as an Open Studies student?

Courses vary in cost depending on the delivery format, i.e., on-campus or Off-campus. Open Studies students pay a per course tuition fee plus UofC general fees for each term. Please refer to the Undergraduate fee table at the Office of the Registrar for more details about general fees.

Only those who are first time UofC students must include a one-time $35 Cdn application fee at the time of registration.

The balance of the fees is due approximately 1 to 2 weeks after classes begin. Please refer to Enrolment Services Fees & Finances link for current information.

4. May I use the courses I take through Graduate Programs in Education as advanced credit toward a degree?

You may request advanced credit for courses taken as an Open Studies student, at the time of application to the program. Only a limited number of courses may be used as advanced credit depending on the program, and there is no guarantee that credit will be granted or that courses taken prior to application to a degree program will guarantee admission to that program. Please refer to the Advanced Credit policy for more details.

5. Where do I send my registration forms and other documents?

Open studies registration is a two step process.  The Open Studies Application Form and supporting documents must be sent directly to the Registrar's office.  Once the application is reviewed and confirmation is sent that a student is "Active" step 2 is to contact the Graduate Programs in Education office to request approval for enrolment in a particular graduate course.  Approval is granted only if there is space available in the course and with approval from the academic coordinator to which the requested course belongs. Please see the Open Studies Students page for more detailed information.

6. How will I know when I am registered?

The Office of the Registrar will email confirmation with your student ID number and payment information.  When approval has been granted by the GPE office for a course, a GPE administrator will contact you to confirm registration.  Students may also log into myUofC to confirm registration status.