Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Award
The Werklund School of Education awards one Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Award (EDI), annually, to an academic staff member (or academic team) who demonstrates outstanding leadership and commitment to improving equity, diversity and inclusions experiences and fostering innovation and creativity in the School, the community, and in the profession. This award has a strong focus on evidence of the application/practice of intercultural competency. Nominee(s) will be an individual (or team) showing strong evidence of leadership, pertaining to students and/or academic staff, in addressing EDI obstacles germane to:
- Gender equity
- Skin colour
- Sexual violence
- Unconscious biases
- Visible/ racialized minorities
- Indigenous Peoples
- Religious beliefs/practices
- Prejudice and racism
- Other identified areas
All current University of Calgary Werklund School of Education academic staff (includes all categories of teaching staff, including sessional staff) are eligible for this award. A scholar is eligible to receive the award once in a five year period.
Rules and Guidelines
- Nominations for this award can be made by a former Werklund School student, alumni, Werklund School colleague, or administrator.
- The nominee must display excellence in all three (3) categories listed in Appendix A.
- The nomination MUST include 2 signed letters of support (individual or group letters with one from the community) (maximum 2 pages each).
- The nominator is responsible for submitting a complete nomination package to the Chair of the Awards Committee by May 3, 2021.
All nomination dossiers are reviewed by a subcommittee of the Awards Committee, with recommendations made to the Awards Committee. The subcommittee is Co-Chaired by Associate Dean of Internationalization and members from the Internationalization Advisory Committee (IAC). All applications will be reviewed based on the criteria listed in Appendix A.
One Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Award recipient will be announced and honoured at an appropriate venue. The award recipient (individual or team) will receive $2,000 to be used (by June 30, 2022) towards attending a conference of their choice (team will share the $2,000 award). A letter will be provided acknowledging the honour from the Werklund School of Education.
The nomination package consists of four parts, for total of 14 pages in the nomination package:
Use 12pt font and single spacing for all documentation. Submit all documentation in a single PDF.
Nominee and nominator information
Nominator letter providing evidence of equity, diversity and inclusion using criteria outlined in Appendix A (maximum 2 pages)
Two signed letters of support providing evidence of equity, diversity and inclusion using criteria outlined in Appendix A (maximum 2 pages each)
Nominee’s personal educational statement and portfolio (maximum 8 pages)
Appendix A: Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Categories
Nominations for the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Award are to be based on a nominee’s demonstrated excellence in all categories listed below. Demonstrated excellence must attend to all three areas of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion however, one or more of the three areas may be emphasized.
The nominee’s educational statement must include
- Values that support equity, diversity and inclusion
- Philosophy and beliefs that guide your work
- Alignment of your work to UC commitment to EDI. Refer to—
Nominee’s contributions to equity, diversity and inclusion (examples need to be included in the nomination letter and two letters of support). The following provides examples of context and focus where you take up your work pertaining to equity, diversity and inclusion:
- Formal coursework
- Teaching practice/approach
- School service contributions (formal/informal)
- Resource development
- Mentoring/leadership contributions
- Knowledge sharing
Nominee’s contributions to equity, diversity and inclusion (examples need to be included in the nomination letter and two letters of support). The following provides examples of areas of equity, diversity and inclusion to be considered:
- Engagement with the community beyond UC campus
- Contributions to professional association(s)
- Resource/program development
- Leadership role
Completed nomination packages can be sent to:
Werklund School of Education Awards Selection Committee
c/o Chair of Academic Awards Committee
EDT 1340, 2500 University Dr NW
Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 1N4