Online Teaching Excellence Award
The Online Teaching Excellence Award is presented annually to an academic staff member in the Werklund School of Education who demonstrates outstanding online teaching and learning experiences. A nominee should be an individual who is widely recognized for their teaching and academic inquiry within the School, supports the educational excellence of colleagues, and embodies a spirit of instructional innovation.
All current Werklund School of Education academic staff (includes all categories of teaching staff, including sessional instructors) are eligible for this award providing they have taught four or more different courses in online environments. However, an individual is not eligible to win the award in two consecutive years. Students are not eligible.
Rules and Guidelines
- Nomination for this award can be made by a former Werklund School student, alumni, Werklund School colleague, or administrator.
- Each nominee must display excellence in all 4 categories of the ‘Teaching Excellence Categories’ listed in Appendix A.
- The nomination MUST include at least 1 support letter from former students (an individual or a group letter).
- The nominator is responsible for submitting a complete nomination package to the Chair of the Awards Committee (AC); nominations will be accepted until May 3, 2021.
All nomination dossiers are reviewed by the Teaching and Learning Advisory Committee, with recommendations made to the Awards Committee. All applications will be reviewed based on the criteria listed in Appendix A.
One Online Teaching Award recipient will be announced and presented at an appropriate venue. The award recipient will receive up to $2,000 to be used (by June 30, 2022) towards attending a conference of their choice. A letter will be provided acknowledging the honour from the Werklund School of Education.
The nomination package consists of four parts, for a total of 16 pages:
Use 12pt font and single spacing for all documentation. Submit all documentation in a single PDF.
Nominee and nominator information
Nominator letter (maximum 2 pages)
Two signed letters of support with at least one being from a former student (individual or group letter) (maximum 2 pages each)
Nominee to provide evidence for excellence in the four criteria, maximum 10 pages (Appendix A)
Appendix A: Teaching Excellence Categories
Nominations for the Werklund Online Teaching Award are to be based on a nominee’s demonstrated excellence in all four of teaching excellence categories listed below.
Maximum 16 pages
- Uses innovative, inquiry and/or experimental teaching as a form of research and/or scholarship that connects across disciplines.
Demonstrates a superior command of:
- Enacting pedagogical content knowledge within their disciplinary area for design and implementation in an online environment,
- Creating an online learning environment which challenges learners’ thinking and understanding,
- Providing students with timely, helpful assessment feedback, to support and strengthen learning,
- Leading scholarly conversation, discussion and debate within the online environment,
- Incorporating research into instruction in support of robust online learning.
- Promotes student-centered and inquiry-based learning
- Fosters critical thinking in a technology-enabled environment
- Implements online instructional strategies for student engagement
Demonstrates educational leadership which might include:
- Create and support a learning community in their online courses.
- Engages in a learning community with colleagues.
- Coaching or mentoring students and/or colleagues on the innovative use of media and new technologies to support online pedagogy.
Completed nomination packages can be sent to:
Werklund School of Education Awards Selection Committee
c/o Chair of Academic Awards Committee
EDT 1340, 2500 University Dr NW
Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 1N4