Sessional Instructor Award
The Werklund School of Education awards one Sessional Instructor Teaching Excellence Award annually to a sessional academic staff member who demonstrates outstanding teaching and learning experiences. A nominee should be an individual who is widely recognized for their teaching and academic inquiry within the School, supports the educational excellence of colleagues, and embodies a spirit of instructional innovation.
All Werklund School of Education sessional academic staff who have taught a minimum of eight courses in the School are eligible for this award. Individuals currently registered as graduate students are not eligible for this award. An individual is not eligible to win the award in two consecutive years.
Rules and Guidelines
- Nomination for this award can be made by a former Werklund School student, alumni, Werklund School colleague, or administrator.
- Each nominee must display excellence in all three (3) categories of the ‘Teaching Excellence Categories’ listed in Appendix A.
- The nomination MUST include at least 1 support letter from former students (individual or a group letter).
- The nominator is responsible for submitting a complete nomination package to the Chair of the Awards Committee (AC); nominations will be accepted until May 3, 2021.
All nomination dossiers are reviewed by the Teaching and Learning Advisory Committee, with recommendations made to the Awards Committee. All applications will be reviewed based on the criteria listed in Appendix A.
One Werklund Sessional Instructor Award recipient will be announced and presented at an appropriate venue. The award recipient will receive up to $2,000 to be used (by June 30, 2022) towards attending a conference of their choice. A letter will be provided acknowledging the honour from the Werklund School of Education.
The nomination package consists of four parts, for a total of 16 pages:
Use 12pt font and single spacing for all documentation. Submit all documentation in a single PDF.
Nominee and nominator information
Nominator letter (maximum 2 pages)
Two signed letters of support (maximum 2 pages each) at least one being from a former student (individual or group letter)
Nominee to provide evidence for excellence in the four criteria, maximum 10 pages (Appendix A)
Appendix A: Teaching Excellence Categories
Nominations for the Werklund Sessional Instructor Award are to be based on a nominee’s demonstrated excellence in all of the teaching excellence categories listed below.
Demonstrates a superior command of:
- Enacting pedagogical content knowledge within their disciplinary area,
- Creating a learning environment which challenges learners’ thinking and understanding,
- Providing students with timely, helpful assessment feedback, to support and strengthen learning,
- Leading scholarly conversation, discussion and debate,
- Incorporating research into instruction.
- Promotes student-centered and inquiry-based learning
- Fosters critical thinking
- Uses innovative instructional strategies for student engagement
- Effectively integrates digital technologies to enhance or extend student learning.
- Creates and supports a learning community in their courses.
- Engages in a learning community with colleagues.
Completed nomination packages can be sent to:
Werklund School of Education Awards Selection Committee
c/o Chair of Academic Awards Committee
EDT 1340, 2500 University Dr NW
Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 1N4