Werklund Teaching Excellence Award
The Werklund School of Education awards one Werklund Teaching Excellence Award annually to a full time, continuing academic staff member who demonstrates outstanding teaching and learning experiences. A nominee should be an individual who is widely recognized for their teaching and academic inquiry within the School, supports the educational excellence of colleagues, and embodies a spirit of instructional innovation.
All current Werklund School of Education full time, continuing academic staff are eligible for this award. However, an individual is not eligible to win the award in two consecutive years.
Rules and Guidelines
- Nomination for this award can be made by a Werklund School student, alumni, Werklund School colleague, or administrator.
- Each nominee must display excellence in all 4 categories of the ‘Teaching Excellence Categories’ listed in Appendix A.
- The nomination MUST include at least 1 support letter from students (an individual or a group letter).
- The nominator is responsible for submitting a complete nomination package to the Chair of the Awards Committee (AC); nominations will be accepted until May 3, 2021.
All nomination dossiers are reviewed by the Teaching and Learning Advisory Committee, with recommendations made to the Awards Committee. All applications will be reviewed based on the criteria listed in Appendix A.
One Teaching Excellence Award recipient will be announced and presented at an appropriate venue. The award recipient will receive up to $2,000 to be used (by June 30, 2022) towards attending a conference of their choice. The recipient will have their names engraved on the Werklund Teaching Excellence Award plaque on display in the Education Building. A letter will be provided acknowledging the honour from the Werklund School of Education.
The nomination package consists of four parts, for a total of 16 pages:
Use 12pt font and single spacing for all documentation. Submit all documentation in a single PDF.
Nominee and nominator information
Nominator letter (maximum 2 pages)
Two signed letters of support (at least one from a former student) (maximum 2 pages each)
Nominee to provide evidence for excellence in the four criteria, maximum 10 pages (Appendix A)
Appendix A: Teaching Excellence Categories
Nominations for the Werklund Teaching Excellence Award are to be based on a nominee’s demonstrated excellence in all four of the Werklund Teaching Excellence Categories listed below:
Uses innovative, inquiry and/or experimental teaching as a form of research and/or scholarship that connects across disciplines. It is important that academic staff make this scholarship of teaching a peer-reviewed, publically acknowledged and rewarding experience.
Demonstrates a superior command of:
- enacting pedagogical content knowledge within their disciplinary area,
- creating a learning environment which challenges learners’ thinking and understanding,
- providing students with timely, helpful assessment feedback, to support and strengthen learning,
- leading scholarly conversation, discussion and debate,
- incorporating research into instruction.
Promotes student-centered and inquiry-based learning and critical thinking and uses new instructional strategies for student engagement and/or initiatives involving the novel incorporations of digital technologies to enhance or extend student learning.
Demonstrates educational leadership which might include:
- leading or developing large-scale curriculum renewal projects,
- coaching colleagues on the innovative use of media and new technologies,
- providing workshops on developing a rich repertoire of and strengthening instructional practices,
- actively working with colleagues to design credit courses.
Completed nomination packages can be sent to:
Werklund School of Education Awards Selection Committee
c/o Chair of Academic Awards Committee
EDT 1340, 2500 University Dr NW
Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 1N4