MA - French
Research and Scholarly Activity
- French immersion schools
- Second language acquisition (SLA)
- Second language teaching and learning
- Teacher education
- Teaching and learning methods
- Pre-service teachers
Research interests include French Immersion and Second Language pedagogy and the implementation of the Neurolinguistic Approach in the Intensive French program, as well as the experiences of pre-service teachers.
- Investigating Intensive French in Calgary, Language Research Centre (UofC) and Calgary Board of Education, 2012-2018.
Professional & Community Affiliations
Member Canadian Association of Second Language Teachers (CASLT), Association canadienne des professionels d’immersion (ACPI)
Dr. Mueller studied French at Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario, and then completed a Master’s in French Language and a BEd with a Specialization in Secondary French at the University of Calgary. Following a teaching career at the Calgary Board of Education, Dr. Mueller taught French in the Faculty of Arts at the University of Calgary. Since completing her Doctorate in French Pedagogy at the University of Calgary, Dr. Mueller has been teaching in Undergraduate and Graduate Programs at the Werklund School of Education. She is the co-author of a textbook for beginner-level University French (Chez nous: branché sur le monde francophone 3rd Canadian edition 2014, Toronto: Pearson Education). She presents frequently at conferences and for teacher organizations and school divisions, and to French Immersion parents on behalf of Canadian Parents for French. She is a member of the Teaching Academy, Taylor Institute of Teaching and Learning, University of Calgary.
- Burns, A., Brown, B., Eaton, S. E., & Mueller, K. (Forthcoming). A day in the life: An examination of women's choices in the academy. Journal of Educational Thought.
- Mueller, K. & Roy, S. (2015). Écrire en collaboration: Avantageux ou pas? (ACPI) Le journal de l’immersion, 37, 2 (Été 2015), 36-39.
- Valdman, A., Mueller, Katherine et al (2014). Chez nous: branché sur le monde francophone, 3rd Canadian edition. Toronto: Pearson Educational Publishers. (1st Canadian edition 2005, 2nd Canadian edition 2010).
- Mueller, Katherine (2010). Rethinking the Focus on Grammar in Canada’s Immersion Program. In S. Roy & C. Berlinguette (Eds.), Emerging Social and Language Issues in Canada: Identity, Diversity and Teaching Practices, pp. 59-71. University of Calgary: Faculty of Education.
JOURNAL ARTICLES - NON-PEER REVIEWED
- Roy, Sylvie, Paris, Brit, Smith, Cameron and Mueller, Katherine. "Reflecting on Practices in Second Language Classrooms". Réflexions - Canadian Association of Second Language Teachers (CASLT) 35.3 (2016): 17-19. Print.
- University of Calgary Teaching Excellence Award, Sessional Instructor, 2017
- University of Calgary Student Union Teaching Excellence Award Honourable Mention (Education) 2015-2016
- University of Calgary Student Union Teaching Excellence Award (Education) 2014-2015
- University of Calgary Student Union Teaching Excellence Award (Education) Nomination 2017-2018
- SSHRC Doctoral Scholarship 2010
- Queen Elizabeth II Doctoral Scholarship 2009-2012