An Overview of Community-Based Placements
Community-based placements are also called "Out of Area placements". These are field experience placements in rural and remote schools in Western Canada.
Field experience placements can be arranged across rural and remote areas in Western Canada. We have successfully placed Pre-Service Teachers across Alberta, rural and remote British Columbia, the Northwest Territories, the Yukon, Nunavut, and Schools in Indigenous Communities across Western Canada. Field Experience placement requests east of Manitoba will not be considered.
Community-Based preference for admission into this program is given to students in rural and remote areas of Alberta. As field experience (practicum) placements can be arranged across Alberta, in the Northwest Territories, and in rural and remote British Columbia, students in these areas may also be considered.
Every year, we make over 1000 community-based and Calgary and area placements in more than 80 school districts across four provinces. We have one of the largest programs in Alberta, and we are extremely proud of our pre-service teachers who represent the Werklund School of Education to all of our community and educational partners.
About the Placement Information form
Q: How do you use the Placement Information Form?
A: We use the Placement Information Form to understand your placement preferences!
- Field Experience I and II placements are based on your Community-Based application address. We rely on your Placement Information Form submission to confirm your placement preferences.
- When completing your form, we encourage you to include as many as options as possible, to avoid limiting your placement options.
- For general information about the form, please visit the Placement Information Form page
Q: How do I complete the Placement Information Form?
A: For instructions on how to complete and submit the Placement Information Form as a Community-Based student, please visit our How to Guide
Q: How do I access the Placement Information Form?
A: First, you register for your Field Experience courses through the UCalgary Student Centre. You will not have access to the Placement Information Form if you have not registered for your Field Experience Course. See the Registration Guide for assistance. After 48 hours, you will have access to the Placement Information Form within the Student Field Experience (SFE) portal. Please log onto SFE here: https://sfe.ucalgary.ca. You will need your eID and password; use a desktop computer (not phone); use Google Chrome.
Q: Do I need to submit a Placement Information Form?
A: Yes, as a Community-Based student, please submit your Placement Information Form for:
- Field Experience I (EDUC 440)
- Field Experience II (EDUC 465)
- Field Experience III & IV (EDUC 540 and EDUC 560)
Q: When do I complete the Placement Information Form?
Please complete your Placement Information Form as early as possible (the form is available in May).
- If participating in Field Experience I and II in the same academic year, please complete both forms as soon as possible.
- We start to secure Out of Area placements for Field Experience I, II, III & IV in May and June for the Fall and Winter terms.
Q: Who will see my Placement Information Form submission?
A: Your form submission is reviewed by UPE Field Experience staff initially. Your form submission is then carefully reviewed and considered by the Directors of Field Experience.
- Please be aware that your submission may be shared with the school district, to ensure the School District has all the information they need to secure the best possible placement.
- Please do not share private or confidential information in the form.
Q: What happens after I submit my Placement Information Form?
A: After you submit your Placement Information Form, the Directors of Field Experience will review your submission. The Field Experience Team and Field Experience Directors work with a variety of interested Partner Teachers and Supportive Placement Schools. The Directors of Field Experience will match you with a suitable Partner Teacher. You will have an opportunity to review this placement before it is finalized.