On-Campus: Placement Information Form
How to complete the Placement Information Form as an On-Campus Student
Is the Placement Information Form Required?
As an On-Campus Pre-Service Teacher participating in Field Experience, you are invited to complete the Placement Information form twice.
|Placement Information Form
|Notes & Considerations
|Field Experience I
Your placement preferences are not considered.
Click here for more information about Field Experience I placements for Calgary & Area.
|Field Experience II
The form opens in May.
Please submit your form by December 5
We encourage you to update your form after Field Experience I, in November / October.
|Field Experience III
The form opens in May.
Please submit your form by June 20
|We rely on your Field Experience III Placement Information Form for Field Experience III and IV,
as ideally, your placement will be the same.
|Field Experience IV
|If required, the UPE Field Experience team will invite you to submit a
Placement Information Form specifically for Field Experience IV.
Completing the On-Campus Placement Information Form
When completing the Placement Information Form, follow this guide to walk you through the steps.
Begin by registering in Field Experience. You will have access to the Placement Information Form / Field Experience portal approximately 48 hours later.
To access the Placement Information Form, please log onto the Student Field Experience (SFE) portal, here: https://sfe.ucalgary.ca
As a reminder, you first need to register in the Field Experience course. You will have access to the Placement Information Form / Field Experience portal approximately 48 hours later.
All information in the grayed-out boxes is automatically populated from your Student Centre.
If any of the information is incorrect, please check your Student Centre.
Mailing address: This information in the grayed-out boxes is automatically populated from your Student Centre. If any of the information is incorrect, please update your Student Centre.
Preferred Name: Add in your preferred name ONLY if it is different from the name(s) showing in the greyed out student information section.
Your Student Information: Please check your program and pathway information is correct.
As an on-campus student, please select Calgary and Area. These placements occur in school divisions in the City of Calgary and surrounding area. Please refer to our map, here
Depending on your choice, the form will change.
This is your address/residence during Field Experience.
- This section MUST be completed, including Quadrant and Community.
- Please provide the address where you will be living DURING field experience.
- This address will inform our placement location and eligibility.
These placements occur in school divisions in the City of Calgary and surrounding area. Please refer to our map, here
Select the quadrant color you reside in. Please refer to our map to select the correct quadrant, here
- Do not select where you wish to be placed.
- Our quadrant boundaries are unique. Please choose carefully! Please ensure you select the correct quadrant color as it is considered during the placement process.
- You will notice the quadrant zones are labeled by color: This is to flag our Calgary and area quadrant zones are not the same as City of Calgary - and are designed to consider your transportation!
Important! If you move, please inform email@example.com immediately.
Select the community (neighborhood) you will be residing in during your Field Experience placement (not where you prefer to be placed).
Important! If you move, please inform firstname.lastname@example.org immediately.
Please choose whether you will be travelling to and from your placement using a car or public transit.
- If you leave it as “Not Specified” we will assume you are driving a car.
- While we aim to secure a placement for you within a 60-minute commute of your home, travel times could be up to 90 minutes from your home to the school (one-way).
Important! If your access to a vehicle changes, please inform email@example.com immediately.
Please include all ineligible sites and information in the Placement Information Form:
- Schools you attended or graduated from within the last 5 years
- Schools you work in or have worked in within the last 5 years
- Schools where family or friends presently attend or work
- All schools where you coach and/or volunteer
You will not be placed in schools where you attended/graduated or worked with within the last 5 years or where family or friends presently attend, work, or have a professional affiliation.
It is your responsibility to notify the Undergraduate Programs in Education of ineligible schools where a conflict of interest may exist. Failure to comply with these conditions could jeopardize successful completion of the field experience.
- You are asked to check as many boxes as possible to avoid limiting your placement options.
- A minimum of five (5) school board divisions are required.
- Please select School Boards/Divisions that you can access with your mode of transportation for the entire field experience.
Please note: Requests for an online Field Experience placement (remote or in-school online teaching) are available for Field Experience II only. Your field experience seminar will be held in-person on-campus, and attendance is mandatory.
We strongly encourage you to include your preferences, professional and educational background, and interests in this form as this information helps us and our educational partners choose the most appropriate placement and partner teacher for you.
Many of our students have diverse backgrounds, and interests and areas of expertise that include languages, sports, specialized skills, trades, or interests. This section helps us better understand your strengths, professional goals and other considerations when securing your placement. Like you, our Partner Teachers also have very diverse teaching assignments, and getting a better sense of your interests helps make the best match possible!
Please note: We cannot make any guarantees, but we do try and use this information to make the best possible placement.
Change of Specialization
We encourage you to note If you have requested a change of specialization or grade route (elementary/secondary)
If you have other areas of expertise, please provide additional information.
We encourage you to comment on your background knowledge, expertise, and experiences that you have had outside of your academic studies that may be useful in a school setting.
If you are interested in having an experience in a Career and Technology Studies or Foundations (CTS/ CTF) placement, particularly for Field Experience II, please let us know the area of interest and your background in that area.
Interested in a Career & Technology Placements?
We strongly encourage our Field II pre-service teachers to consider a CTS/ CTF placement!
We recommend Pre-Service Teachers increase the diversity of their experience and their professional teaching experience, we see many of our graduates move into teaching in similar diverse and creative roles. We encourage students to go outside of their specializations when they have the opportunity and Field Experience II is a perfect opportunity for this, as it is less teaching and shorter than Field Experience III and IV. A CTS placement helps demonstrate flexibility and the ability to teach in a multitude of subject areas to future potential employers.
Strengths: Teachable Subject Area Considerations
1. Fine Arts: Describe your area of focus. For example, Visual Arts: Ceramics, Digital; Music: Instrumental/ band OR choral OR both; Dance: Jazz, Ballet; Drama: Theatre Tech, etc. This is required.
2. French: Describe your level of proficiency. For example, French - DELF or DELE level. This is required.
3. Inclusive Education: Describe your area of focus and preferred classroom setting. This is not required but if you have a preferred area of interest, we invite you to describe your interest here.
4. Physical Education: Indicate if you have specific sports, interests or expertise. This is not required but if you have a preferred area of interest, we invite you to describe your interest here.
5. Second Languages: Identify your second language(s) and level of proficiency. This is required.
After you submit your Placement Information Form, the Directors of Field Experience will review your submission. The Field Experience Team and Field Experience Directors work with a variety of interested Partner Teachers and Supportive Placement Schools. The Directors of Field Experience will match you with a suitable Partner Teacher. You will have an opportunity to review this placement before it is finalized.
- After you submit your Placement Information Form, the Directors of Field Experience will review your submission.
- The Field Experience Team and Field Experience Directors work with a variety of interested Partner Teachers and Supportive Placement Schools.
- The Directors of Field Experience will match you with a suitable Partner Teacher.
- We anticipate sharing your placement details with you about one-month before the field experience starts. Planning ahead and staying in touch is important. Please check your UCalgary email regularly.
- Pre-arranging placements with specific schools and/or teachers is not permitted.
- Under no circumstances shall student teachers contact a field site regarding their placements until they have been confirmed and posted by the faculty.
For more information about Calgary & Area Placements, visit here