Community-Based: Placement Information Form
How to complete the Placement Information Form as a Community-Based Student
Completing the Community-Based Placement Information Form
When completing the Placement Information Form, follow this guide to walk you through the steps.
Remember: If participating in Field Experience I and II in the same academic year, please complete both forms as soon as possible.
Begin by registering in Field Experience. You will have access to the Placement Information Form / Field Experience portal approximately 48 hours later.
To access the Placement Information Form, please log onto the Student Field Experience (SFE) portal, here: https://sfe.ucalgary.ca
As a reminder, you first need to register in the Field Experience course. You will have access to the Placement Information Form / Field Experience portal approximately 48 hours later.
All information in the grayed-out boxes is automatically populated from your Student Centre. If any of the information is incorrect, please check your Student Centre.
This information in the grayed-out boxes is automatically populated from your Student Centre. If any of the information is incorrect, please update your Student Centre.
Add in your preferred name ONLY if it is different from the name(s) showing in the greyed out student information section.
As a Community-Based student in a Rural and Remote setting, please select: Out of Area Placement
This is your address/residence during Field Experience.
- This section MUST be completed
- Please provide the address where you will be living DURING the Field Experience.
- This address will inform our placement location.
IMPORTANT: After completing this form, if you move or your circumstances change, please email email@example.com.
Remember, we are securing your Field Experience placements well in advance, and this information is critically important.
As a Community-Based student, please select .Out of Area.
As a Community-Based student, please select .Out of Area.
As a Community-Based student, please select Car
Reminder: Out of Area Field Experience placements are made with the understanding you have access to a vehicle. We cannot make accommodations for transit in areas outside of Calgary - please ensure you are able to get to the places requested.
If you are requesting "Out of Area" school placement, please provide the following:
- The community you will reside in during your Field Experience
- Preferred School Divisions
- Please list the school division(s) in the order of preference
- Minimum: 2 School Divisions
- Preferred schools
- Please list the schools in the order of preference
- Preferred towns/ hamlets/ communities
- Please list the communities in the order of preference
- Minimum: 6 towns/ hamlets
- If this includes an online placement for Field Experience II, please note this here.
We encourage you to be flexible
We encourage you to include as many as possible, to avoid limiting your placement options.
Field Experience I & II are often secured at the same time
Please complete the Placement Information Form for Field Experience I and II as soon as possible. When completing the Placement Information Form, ensure your submission speaks to your Field I and Field II placement preferences.
You will not be placed in schools where you attended or from which you graduated within the last 5 years or where family or friends presently attend, work, or have a professional affiliation.
Please include all ineligible sites and information in the Placement Information Form:
- Schools you attended or graduated from within the last 5 years
- Schools you work in or have worked in within the last 5 years
- Schools where family or friends presently attend or work
- All schools where you coach and/or volunteer
As a community-based student, please know that exceptions may be made in remote communities. We ask you list ALL ineligible schools as requested; if necessary, the Director of Field Experience will discuss this with you.
Ensure this section is complete
It is your responsibility to notify the Field Experience Team of ineligible schools where a conflict of interest may exist. Failure to comply with these conditions could jeopardize successful completion of the Field Experience.
We strongly encourage you to include your preferences, professional and educational background, and interests in this form as this information helps us and our educational partners choose the most appropriate placement and partner teacher for you.
- We cannot make any guarantees, but we do try and use this information to make the best possible placement.
- For Field Experience III & IV, we ask you please list additional information that will assist us in facilitating your placement, keeping in mind that your placement must be 50% in your teachable subject area.
Noting your preferred grades
We encourage you to note your preferred grades / division. This is especially important if you are in the K-12 program!
As a Community-Based student, your Field Experience placements are offered by the local school district superintendent’s and human resources offices.
Your submission may be shared with local school district superintendent’s and human resources offices to secure your placement.
We encourage you to write a few bullet points that highlight your interests and strengths, knowing that it may be shared with potential practicum hosts.
After you submit your Placement Information Form, the Directors of Field Experience will review your submission. The Field Experience Team and Field Experience Directors work with a variety of interested Partner Teachers and Supportive Placement Schools. The Directors of Field Experience will match you with a suitable Partner Teacher. You will have an opportunity to review this placement before it is finalized.
- After you submit your Placement Information Form, the Directors of Field Experience will review your submission.
- The Field Experience Team and Field Experience Directors work with a variety of interested Partner Teachers and Supportive Placement Schools.
- The Directors of Field Experience will match you with a suitable Partner Teacher.
- We anticipate sharing your placement details with you about one-month before the field experience starts. Planning ahead and staying in touch is important. Please check your UCalgary email regularly.
Please remember: Pre-arranging placements with specific schools and/or teachers is not permitted. Under no circumstances shall student teachers contact a field site regarding their placements until they have been confirmed and posted by the faculty.
For more information about Community Based Placements, visit here