The Werklund School of Education is committed to working alongside and learning from Indigenous Elders, leaders, and communities. As part of Connecting Land to Teaching Pedagogy, Bachelor of Education students are invited to attend a three-day field trip to Writing-on-Stone, working with Indigenous Elders and Werklund faculty to better understand how they can incorporate the land into their teaching.
This opportunity includes a series of land- and place-based experiences that will increase participants' understanding of Indigenous ways of knowing, and better prepare them to integrate different Indigenous perspectives in their teaching. Participants will also have the opportunity to share their experiences with other students and contribute more richly to discussions in EDUC 530: Indigenous Education.
- Participants will receive Co-Curricular Credit in recognition of their learning and sharing with their colleagues
- Fee: $75 for transportation to, from, and within Writing-on-Stone, Group Campsite, as well as on-site programming not available to the general public
- Participants will be responsible for their own camping equipment and food during the Writing-on-Stone trip. Writing-on-Stone is located in a Provincial Park in Southern Alberta and participants should pack accordingly. Space will be available on the bus for tents, food, etc. Camping equipment can be rented from the Outdoor Centre on campus, which provides student discounts.
- Participants must bring gear appropriate for the weather and environment (e.g., hiking gear)
- Activities may include hiking, wading, and crossing (fording) a river.
- The private camp kitchen is equipped with fridge, separate freezer and wood burning stove.
- The September trip is open to Final Year Education students only until August 20, 2019. The trip will be open to all Education students starting August 21, 2019. Fall payments must be received by August 27, 2019. As space is limited, spots will be given in the order that students submit the registration fee.
Trips to Writing-on-Stone are offered twice during the year: once each summer (for Undergraduate TAB and Community-Based students and Graduate students), and in September (for Final Year Education students).
2019 September Trip to Writing-on-Stone:
- Monday, September 2, 2019 – Wednesday, September 4, 2019
- Meet at the Education Tower at 11:30am on September 2nd for a noon departure
- Arrive and check-in at Writing-on-Stone at 4:00pm
- Rock Art Interpretive Tour hosted by Alberta Parks: Tuesday, September 3rd
- Check-out and depart by Noon on September 4th
- Return to University of Calgary for ~4:00pm
- Trip Planning - Recommended packing list, meal schedule and FAQs
- Trip Expectations - Participant rules and guidelines
- Writing-on-Stone - Rock Art Tour hosted by Alberta Parks - Information, created by Alberta Parks
- Writing-on-Stone - Provincial Park Information Sheet and Park Map created by Alberta Parks
- Writing-on-Stone - Rattlesnake Information Sheet, created by Alberta Parks
- Gear Rental Information - U of C Outdoor Centre Rental Sheet