The Werklund School of Education's annual Youth Forum brings young people and their allies together to identify challenges that concern today's youth and to transform their social impact ideas into actionalble projects. Community members, academics, teachers, and youth leaders collaborate during the forum to design and plan social action projects for schools and communities, which students will implement during the school year.
Participating pre-service teachers will serve as Table Facilitators during the October and April Forum events, facilitating table discussions as students develop their action plans. Participants will also have the opportunity to discuss how to support youth leaders in their school communities, and may be able to observe a change initiative later in the school year.
- Participants who complete all Forum activities will receive Co-Curricular Credit in recognition of their contributions
- Participants will be paid $20 per hour from 9:00-12:00 and 1:00-3:00 for the Fall and Spring forums (12 hours paid). Lunch and snacks will also be provided at each Forum.
- Participants will attend orientation sessions in Fall and Spring to prepare for each Forum, with a focus on the goals for each activity and strategies for supporting youth as leaders during each discussion.
- During the Fall and Spring forums, participants will facilitate discussions for a group of students and their teacher(s) as they discuss and develop a change initiative.
- After each Forum, participants will have the opportunity to discuss how they can support youth leaders in their classrooms. Participants may also have the opportunity to attend a school's change initiative to see how youth leaders and their schools develop, plan, and implement a project in their community.
- Fall Orientation:
- Year 2 Students: Date and time TBD, during the week of October 1st
- Year 1 Students: Date and time TBD, during the week of October 1st
- Non-Education Year Students: Please attend one of the above sessions.
- October Youth Forum: 9:00am-3:00pm (6 hours paid) on Saturday, October 5th in the MacEwan Hall Ballroom.
- Debrief Discussion: 3:00-4:00pm on Saturday, October 5th, Room TBD.
- Site Visit to a school's change initiative: 2 hours between October 2019 and April 2020. Scheduling TBD based on school initiatives and participant availability.
- Spring Orientation: Date and time TBD, during the week of April 20th
- April Youth Forum: 9:00am-3:00pm (6 hours paid) on Saturday, April 25th in the MacEwan Hall Ballroom.
- Debrief Discussion: 3:00-4:00pm on Saturday, April 25th. Room TBD.
Applications for the 2020-2021 Forum will open in September!