- Participants will also attend a 2-hour orientation session in November, followed by a training session mid November (during Fall Reading Week). The orientation and training sessions will introduce participants to IPSE's philosophy and values, as well as a schedule and structure for creating course modifications and facilitating coursework sessions.
- Pre-service teachers will participate in 3 weeks of shadowing with a current Facilitator and student. This is an opportunity to learn about the student, the student-Facilitator dynamic, and ask questions.
- To match with a Facilitator, students need to be available in-person for periods of time Monday to Friday, between 9:00 am - 4:00 pm. We are accepting Werklund students to work with Facilitators at both IPSE partner campuses - University of Calgary & St. Mary’s University. It would be beneficial for us to know in advance the student’s preference in terms of location.
- Pre-service teachers will be paired with a current IPSE student for the duration of their placement, and work with IPSE staff and the student to identify how best to meet the students' individualized learning needs.
- Participants will plan and modify curriculum according to students' individual learning needs and individual course content. Participants will also facilitate coursework lessons for their partner student on an ongoing basis. Content of lessons will be determined in collaboration with the student and the Educational Facilitator they work with.
- Participants will also collaborate with their Facilitator to determine the amount of modifications necessary for individual students, based on the student's needs, participant's ability, and the needs of the individual course.
- Pre-service teachers need a current Police Information Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening (issued after July 1 of this academic year). Students who do not already have a police check should begin this process at their local police station as soon as possible, as police checks often take 4-6 weeks to process.
- Participants will be required to sign an Oath of Confidentiality during their training session with IPSE.
- After applying, participants will participate in a brief interview with the IPSE team to determine best fit for both pre-service teacher and the IPSE program.
Fall 2023 applications are now closed.
Winter 2024 Applications will open on November 20, 2024.
Ready to apply?
1. Log on to Elevate
2. Go to Werklund School of Education > My Werklund Experiences
3. Click on Courses/Programs
4. Find the Service-Learning program and click Apply
5. Complete the Service-Learning Application on Step 1