Immigrant Services Calgary (ISC) provides a variety of services to support the settlement and integration of newcomers in the Calgary community. Our programs help community members to:
- Find language training opportunities and other community resources
- Adjust to life in Canada by supporting you in your settlement process
- Gain Canadian work experience through volunteer opportunities
- Meet people from diverse cultural groups
The Core Connections Program, also known as C2, is a youth program for newcomer youth between the ages of 12-20. It is an ongoing after school program that provides a safe and fun space for youth that have recently arrived in Canada to integrate into the community and meet other youth. Core Connections offers programs in skill-building, community engagement and peer mentorship.
- Pre-service teachers commit to attending once a week for two hours. There is potential participation at other C2 workshops for additional hours.
- Activities during sessions may include:
- Assisting youth with their homework
- Helping them study for a quiz/test
- Helping them with school projects
- Having conversations about post-secondary education
- Running an education focused workshop/presentation of your choosing (topics could include: moving to university, picking a program, applying for scholarships etc) [Optional]
- Pre-service teachers need a current Police Information Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening (issued after July 1, 2021). Students who do not already have a police check should begin this process at their local police station as soon as possible, as police checks often take 4-6 weeks to process.
- Students placed with ISC also require a Child Intervention Check issued by Alberta Human Services. More information about the CIC will be provided at the orientation session.
- Speaking more than one language is an asset but not required.
Werklund Dates and Times
Services Fair: Thursday, September 8, 2022, 10 AM - 2 PM (in-person)
Applications Open: Thursday, September 8, 2022
Applications Close: Applications for some placements are on-going
Werklund Orientation: Wednesday, September 21, 2022
- 10:30 AM - 11:30 am AM (in-person) or
- 2 PM - 3 PM (via Zoom)
Fall Placements Start: October 1, 2022
Werklund Check-In Session #1: Monday, October 24, 2022
- 10 AM - 11 AM (in-person) or
- 4 PM - 5 PM (Zoom)
Werklund Wrap-Up Session: Wednesday, December 7, 2022 at 5 PM - 6 PM (Zoom)
Fall Placements End: December 9, 2022
Core Connections Dates
- Orientation/Training Session: Early January, date TBD
- Session times are Tuesdays from 5:00-7:00pm weekly
In total, pre-service teachers agree to commit to a minimum of 20 hours for their service-learning experience
- Throughout the semester, pre-service teachers will curate their service experiences using a creative medium (e.g., photos, art, storyboarding, videos, etc.) that best reflects their experiences in the program. Your creative reflections will form part of a public showcase of Werklund’s service-learning program later in the year.
- Pre-service teachers will participate in 2 group meetings: one at the mid-point and another at the end of their placement (1 hour each). These group meetings provide pre-service teachers with opportunities to reflect on the service-learning experience, and to guide improvements for the program.
Applications for Winter 2023 will open in November 2022.
Sharing my experience as an immigrant navigating the post-secondary system was a really important way for me to give back.
It was great experience working with my community partner. She helped me connect with my mentees, learn about community organizations, and understand ways to support immigrant youth.