BA English and Literature
Diploma in TESOL
Diploma in Education
Research and Scholarly Activity
- Change and innovation in higher education
- Critical discourse analysis
- Educational leadership
- Educational reform and policy
- Global education
- Language policy and planning
- Postcolonial/decolonial thinking in education
- Teacher education
Dr Chua’s research focuses on educational policy and leadership studies. Her research interests include school leadership, language planning and policy, policy analysis, globalization and educational reforms, 21st century skills and competencies, language and culture, and critical discourse analysis.
- Developing 21 CC Classrooms through "Teacher Expertise": An Exploratory Study on Educators' Perceptions and Beliefs of the New Curriculum in Calgary, WSE Faculty Start-Up
Dr. Catherine CHUA was born and raised in Singapore. Catherine received her education in Singapore; she is married and has one son. In 2000, Catherine moved to Australia and completed her MA in English at the University of New South Wales, and PhD in Educational Studies at the University of Queensland. She returned to Singapore in 2006 and worked as an Assistant Professor with the National Institute of Education Singapore. In 2016, Catherine joined the Faculty of Education at the University of Calgary where she teaches graduate courses in leadership and policy studies.
Professional & Community Affiliations
De Gruyter Open, series editor
The Centre for Imagination in Research, Culture & Education (CIRCE) Simon Fraser University, Academic Council
Current Issues in Language Planning, Editorial Board Member
Language, Culture and Curriculum, Editorial Board Member
Chua, S.K.C., & Chai, C.S. (2019). Information Communication Technology. In B. Wong, S. Hairon, & Ng, P.T (Eds.), School leadership and educational change in Singapore (pp.149-168). Cham, Switzerland: Springer.
Hairon, S., *Chua, S.K.C., & Abbas, D. (2019). Professional Learning Communities. In B. Wong, S. Hairon, & Ng, P.T (Eds.), School leadership and educational change in Singapore (pp.107-122). Cham, Switzerland: Springer.
Goh, J.W.P., *Chua, S.K.C., & Hairon, S. (2019). School branding. In B. Wong, S. Hairon, & Ng, P.T (Eds.), School leadership and educational change in Singapore (pp.201-213). Cham, Switzerland: Springer.
Chua, S.K.C., & Soo, J. L-M. (2018). The importance of leadership practices in language planning in schools. In J. Bouchard., & G. P. Glasgow (Eds.), Agency in language policy and planning: Critical Inquiries (pp. 190-213). NY, USA: Routledge.
Hairon, S., *Chua, C.S.K., & Neo, W.L. (2018). School-based curriculum development in Singapore: A case study of a primary school. Asia Pacific Journal of Education. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/02188791.2018.1530192
Chua, S.K.C., & Soo, J. L-M. (2018). Issues of economic immobility: How can education bridge the gap?. Virtual Poster presented at Eleventh Global Studies Conference, July 30-31. University of Granada, Spain.
Chua, S.K.C. (Ed.), (April, 2018). Un(intended) language planning in a globalising world: Multiple levels of players at work. de Gruyter Open. (see: https://www.degruyter.com/view/product/480552)
Hairon, S., Goh, J.W.P, *Chua, C.S.K., & Wang, L. (2017). A research agenda for professional learning communities: Moving forward. Professional Development in Education, 43(1), 72-86.
Duong, T.V.A., & *Chua, S.K.C. (2016). English as a symbol of internationalization in higher education: a case study of Vietnam. Higher Education Research & Development, 35(4), 669-683.
Chua, S.K.C. (2015). Singlish strikes back in Singapore. In R. Tupas (Ed.), Unequal Englishes: The politics of English Today (pp. 185-200). London: Palgrave Macmilian.
Hairon, S., Goh, J.W.P., & *Chua, S.K.C. (2015). Teacher leadership enactment in PLC contexts: Towards a better understanding of the phenomenon. School Leadership and Management, 35(2), 163-182.
Reyes, V.C., & *Chua, C.S.K. (2015). School stakeholders experience in navigating ICT reforms in SIngapore. International Journal of Information Communication Technology Education, 11(4), 83-96.
Tan, C., & *Chua, C.S.K. (2015). Education policy borrowing in China: Has the West wind overpowered the East wind? Compare: A Journal of Comparative and International Education, 45(5), 686-704.
Tan, C., *Chua, C.S.K., & Goh, O. (2015). Rethinking the framework for 21st century education: Toward a communitarian conception. The Education Forum, 79(2), 307-320.
Chua, S.K.C. (2014). A new model of bilingualism for Singapore: Multilingualism in the 21st century. In V. Zenotz, J. Centoz, & D. Gorter (Eds.), Minority languages and multilingual education (pp. 65-84). New York: Springer.
Chua, S.K.C., & Choy, W.C. (2014). The Singapore education journey: From colonialism to globalisam. In C. Joseph., & J. Matthews (Eds.), Equity, opportunity and education in postcolonual Southeast Asia (pp. 169-188). New York: Routledge.
Soo, J.L-M., & *Chua, C.S.K. (2014). The 21st century approach in teaching home economics: A Singapore perspective. International Journal of Pedagogy and Curriculum, 20(2), 61-74.
- The University of Queensland (UQ School of Education) Travel Support Grant (2012) The scheme provides funding to facilitate collaborative research between UQ and overseas scholars. The scheme offers financial assistance to scholars who have been actively engaged in research and are able to contribute substantially to research activities in the nominated UQ School/Centre/Institute.
- Winner of the International Award for Excellence in the area of literacy and education (2010) Paper titled: Futuristic Schools: “Little Red Dot” Strategies in a Globalised Economy
- The University of Queensland Confirmation Scholarship (2005) Currently known as University of Queensland International Scholarship (UQI) The UQI scholarships are awarded competitively, based on merit, to outstanding international students undertaking a research higher degree.