The Master of Education (MEd): Specialist Route is a course-based degree program that provides students with a systematic understanding of knowledge, and a critical awareness of current problems and/or new insights, much of which is at, or informed by, the forefront of their academic discipline, field of study or area of professional practice in one specialization area. The Master of Education degree program has been designed to ensure that the courses and sequence provides a demanding, coherent, robust, credible and high-level academic experience that educates students as leaders of professional practice in the field of educational research.
This route is a two-year program consisting of 12 half-courses (36 credits) within a specialization area. Students complete eight courses in the specialized area of study and four research courses that focus on research methods, program evaluation, participatory and action oriented research in a collaboratory of practice, and reading and writing research pertaining to the specialization.
Students in our masters programs are engaged in immersive experiences that require them to:
- Critically and analytically read research literature
- Evaluate research literature
- Review and critically analyze the literature to enable them to make practice and policy decisions
- Carry out the scholarship of teaching and learning in schools, on campus and other organizations
- Evaluate and apply research to complex learning problems and problems of practice
- Investigate, understand and resolve problems of practice through undertaking their own action oriented research
- Conceptualize and conduct disciplined inquiry and field-focused research
- Write and report on research using a range of academic writing genres.
Our MEd programs are innovative, current, and practitioner-oriented programs designed to create scholars of the profession. Graduate Programs in Education has conceptualized and designed the MEd as a direct pathway into the professional Education Doctorate (EdD).
Please open the sections below for information on programs currently in progress as well as those that are available for admission for July 2017.