Body Image Research Lab - Research
Situated in the Werklund School of Education’s Department of Educational Psychology at the University of Calgary, our research team consists of graduate students and post-doctoral scholars. Dr. Shelly Russell-Mayhew leads the lab and is one of the few researchers worldwide who works across the eating disorder and obesity fields. Our team conducts innovate research on body image, eating disorders, obesity, and weight bias, with particular interest in how the spectrum of eating and weight-related issues materialize in education, health, and social justice settings.
Major goals of our research include:
- a focus on prevention, early intervention, and treatment across a spectrum of weight-related issues,
- an integration of mental health promotion and prevention across risk factors, and
- a systemic inclusion of all stakeholder groups (e.g., teachers, students, parents, policy makers, health professionals, prospective employers) across multiple levels (e.g., in schools, universities, and the health care system) associated with eating and weight-related issues.
The research team regularly presents research at local, provincial, national, and international conferences including:
- Academy for Eating Disorders International Conference
- Canadian Psychological Association Convention
- Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association Conference
- Canadian Obesity Summit
- Eating Disorder Association of Canada Conference
- National Eating Disorder Association Conference
- Shaping the Future Conference
- International Health Universities Conference