Minimum admission requirements:
- A University of Calgary four-year baccalaureate degree or an equivalent degree from a recognized institution. Degrees and grades from foreign institutions are evaluated for their equivalency to those of the University of Calgary.
- A minimum GPA of 3.00 (on the University of Calgary four-point system). This is based on the last two years of the undergraduate degree consisting of a minimum of 60 units (10 full courses).
- Meeting the English language proficiency requirement. Proficiency in the English language is essential for the pursuit and successful completion of graduate programs in the Werklund School of Education. Prior to admission to Graduate Programs in Education, an applicant whose primary language is not English must fulfill the English language proficiency requirement. For additional information, please visit our How to Apply page.
A written statement of intent (suggested length: 300 words) indicating the applicant's reasons for pursuing a graduate program in Graduate Programs in Education. The statement should address the following:
- Please identify your reasons for applying to this graduate program.
- Please outline the particular topics or questions that you plan to pursue in your specialization.
- In what way is this program related to your desired career path or employment objectives?
- Two references are required for students applying to the Graduate Certificate (Step 1). References will be asked to complete an online reference form*. No hard copy documents will be accepted.
- Graduate Diploma (Step 2) applicants are not required to submit references.
- Master of Education - Educational Research Topic (Step 3) applicants are not required to submit references.
*Should you decide to apply, please keep in mind that, although the deadline is March 1st, references and supporting documents are also due on March 1st so you should complete the online application earlier in order to give your referees sufficient time to submit their reference and to allow enough time for official transcripts to be sent from any post-secondary institutions you have attended (other than the University of Calgary). Referees will receive notification on how to submit your reference after you submit your application and are due March 1st regardless of when they receive the notification.
- Applicants to the Master of Education - Educational Research Topic (Step 3): the minimum admission requirements for the final step of the MEd Interdisciplinary degree program also include completion of steps 1 and 2, the Graduate Certificate AND the Graduate Diploma in Education.
Relevant Prior Learning Considerations:
In exceptional circumstances, individuals who do not meet formal academic requirements but who have significant life achievements may be considered for admission to the program. The candidates must provide the relevant graduate program with evidence demonstrating a potential to undertake successfully the proposed program of studies.
Such candidates are advised to make early contact with Graduate Programs in Education, and supply additional supporting documents as part of their application package, such as:
a) Evidence of personal continuing education/training.
b) Results in these continuing education efforts.
c) Experience in a field related to the aspired degree.
d) Evidence of successful management of people, resources, finances, situations.
e) Increasing or varying responsible positions in organizations related to the aspired degree.
f) Work-related products, e.g. reports, programs of learning or training, handbooks, videos, manuals, workshops, seminars.
g) Evidence of personal growth in knowledge, understanding, management skills, and intellectual resources.
h) Evidence of innovation.
i) Evidence of leadership, coordination.
Admission to all graduate programs is highly competitive due to limited enrollment capacities. Meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission.
All graduate programs are governed by the Faculty of Graduate Studies. In the case of any conflict, regulations of the Faculty of Graduate Studies Calendar take precedence over material on this website. Please consult the Faculty of Graduate Studies Calendar for University of Calgary graduate admission requirements.
Offers of admission are valid only for the term to which applications are made. Graduate Programs in Education will not grant deferrals of admission. Students unable to take up an offer will be required to submit a new application.