Minimum admission requirements:
- A University of Calgary four-year baccalaureate degree or an equivalent degree from a recognized institution. Degrees and grades from foreign institutions are evaluated for their equivalency to those of the University of Calgary.
- A minimum GPA of 3.00 (on the University of Calgary four-point system). This is based on the last two years of the undergraduate degree consisting of a minimum of 60 units (10 full courses).
English Language Proficiency Requirement:
Proficiency in the English language is essential for the pursuit and successful completion of graduate programs in the Werklund School of Education. Prior to admission to Graduate Programs in Education, an applicant whose primary language is not English may fulfill the English language proficiency requirement for academic purposes in one of the following ways:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL ibt) score of 97 overall (Academic Version)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 7.0 overall (Academic Version).
- Canadian Academic English Language test (CAEL) score of 70 (no less than 70 in each section).
- Academic Communication Certificate (ACC) score of A- in each course.
An applicant whose first language is not English is exempt from the ELP requirement if they meet the following criteria:
The applicant has completed:
- a Bachelor’s Degree (minimum of 3 years in length), or
- a Graduate Degree
in an institution where the sole language of instruction and examination is English
Eligible institutions must be listed as providing English language instruction in the World Higher Education Database (WHED).
Search for eligible institutions
To submit an official TOEFL test score report:
Arrange for the agency where you completed the academic TOEFL test to send an electronic copy of your test score report to the University of Calgary. Indicate the institution code 0813 and the department code associated with your program of interest, as listed on the ETS website (https://www.ets.org/s/toefl/pdf/dept_code_list.pdf).
To submit an official IELTS test score report:
Please send a copy of your academic IELTS test score report and TRF number to: firstname.lastname@example.org. We will use your IELTS TRF number to search the IELTS database and retrieve your official test.
After your ELP test score reports are received by email@example.com:
You will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information: Your ELP score report has been uploaded to your file. The Educational Research Graduate Program (cc’d) will update your To Do List at a later date. If you have any further questions about your To Do List, please contact the Graduate Program directly.
Graduate Programs in Education will not be accepting Duolingo for ELP purposes.
A written statement of intent (suggested length: 300 words) indicating the applicant's reasons for pursuing a graduate program in Graduate Programs in Education. The statement should address the following:
- Please identify your reasons for applying to this graduate program.
- Please outline the particular topics or questions that you plan to pursue in your specialization.
- In what way is this program related to your desired career path or employment objectives?
- Two references are required for students applying to the Graduate Certificate (Step 1). References will be asked to complete an online reference form*. No hard copy documents will be accepted.
- Graduate Diploma (Step 2) applicants are not required to submit references.
- Master of Education - Educational Research Topic (Step 3) applicants are not required to submit references.
*Should you decide to apply, please keep in mind that, although the deadline is March 1st, references and supporting documents are also due on March 1st so you should complete the online application earlier in order to give your referees sufficient time to submit their reference and to allow enough time for official transcripts to be sent from any post-secondary institutions you have attended (other than the University of Calgary). Referees will receive notification on how to submit your reference after you submit your application and are due March 1st regardless of when they receive the notification.
- Applicants to the Master of Education - Educational Research Topic (Step 3): the minimum admission requirements for the final step of the MEd Interdisciplinary degree program also include completion of steps 1 and 2, the Graduate Certificate AND the Graduate Diploma in Education.
Relevant Prior Learning Considerations:
In exceptional circumstances, individuals who do not meet formal academic requirements but who have significant life achievements may be considered for admission to the program. The candidates must provide the relevant graduate program with evidence demonstrating a potential to undertake successfully the proposed program of studies.
Such candidates are advised to make early contact with Graduate Programs in Education, and supply additional supporting documents as part of their application package, such as:
a) Evidence of personal continuing education/training.
b) Results in these continuing education efforts.
c) Experience in a field related to the aspired degree.
d) Evidence of successful management of people, resources, finances, situations.
e) Increasing or varying responsible positions in organizations related to the aspired degree.
f) Work-related products, e.g. reports, programs of learning or training, handbooks, videos, manuals, workshops, seminars.
g) Evidence of personal growth in knowledge, understanding, management skills, and intellectual resources.
h) Evidence of innovation.
i) Evidence of leadership, coordination.
Admission to all graduate programs is highly competitive due to limited enrollment capacities. Meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission.
All graduate programs are governed by the Faculty of Graduate Studies. In the case of any conflict, regulations of the Faculty of Graduate Studies Calendar take precedence over material on this website. Please consult the Faculty of Graduate Studies Calendar for University of Calgary graduate admission requirements.
Offers of admission are valid only for the term to which applications are made. Graduate Programs in Education will not grant deferrals of admission. Students unable to take up an offer will be required to submit a new application.