Online Learning Resources
Online learning requires a different mindset from students and instructors. Without face-to-face interaction, online learning demands new approaches to preparation, design, delivery, and assessment of learning. On this page, you will find resources to enhance your online teaching practice.
- Using Synchronous and Asynchronous Communication Tools
- Five Ways Online Learning is Enabling Change in Post-Secondary Education from Contact North
- Strategies for Effective Online Teaching
- Video Primers for Online Teaching and Learning, by Curtis Bonk
- Best Practices in the Use of Technology to Integrate Core Skills into Course Content from Contact North
- Top Tips on Desire2Learn: Resource sheet with suggestions on how to use D2L tools for enhancing your online course.
- Grades in D2L: Webpage with resources on how to setup D2L gradebook and export grades to PeopleSoft.
- D2L support: website developed by the IT Department and the Educational Development Unit with tutorials and FAQ on D2L.
Qualtrics is an online survey tool available campus-wide for survey needs that ensures that the data collected is stored on servers based in Canada. The surveys are UCalgary branded and the software is licensed through the university, which allows you to forego dedicating funding from research budgets for this type of survey.
Login with your UCID to access Qualtrics through the University of Calgary Office of Institutional Analysis.
Creating a Survey
In Qualtrics, the Research Core theme provides templates including Informed Consent Forms and Student Satisfaction Surveys. There is also the option of creating a survey from the Blank Survey Project. If you are working from a template, a previous project or a new one, you have the option of creating new questions or importing them from other projects or templates.
Each question gives you the opportunity to adjust the logic for that component of the survey, adjust scoring and randomize response order as well. The software supports collaboration on survey development as well.
Training, Support and Data Migration
There are a variety of resources from Qualtrics and the OIA to support you familiarizing yourself with the software and its applications. If you had a personal online survey account, whether a personal Qualtrics account, an account from another university, UCalgary organizational unit or other survey provider (Fluid Survey, Survey Monkey, etc.), you can also get support to migrate your personal account to the UCalgary version of Qualtrics.
- Creating a Survey - specific to Qualtrics
- Creating Effective Surveys - best practices
- Ask OIA – Qualtrics-related inquiries to OIA
- Webinar (60 minutes) Qualtrics will request name, email and organization prior to this session.
- Support – Qualtrics’ help page for Research Core surveys
A PDF of this information is available for your convenience.