Optimum Learning for All Students: Implementing Alberta’s 2018 Professional Practice Standards
The purpose of this longitudinal, mixed methods research study is to assess, deepen, and extend the implementation process for Alberta’s three professional practice standards: The Teaching Quality Standard, the Leadership Quality Standard, and the Superintendent Leadership Quality Standard.
The study will provide stakeholders and the Alberta Ministry of Education:
- independent, objective insights into the effectiveness of provincial and school authority implementation strategies,
- recommendations on how best to support implementation in various contexts,
- research informed perspectives on the effectiveness of implementation,
- yearly reports generated from annual online surveys, and
- periodic illustrations of promising implementation practices from 8 – 10 case studies.
We are currently conducting a literature review from a policy and public administrative perspective on the adoption and implementation of standards.
A group of 12 researchers from the University of Calgary, University of Lethbridge, University of Alberta and Concordia University of Edmonton are involved in this research project:
- University of Calgary: Jim Brandon, Barb Brown, Man-Wai Chu, Sharon Friesen, Dustin Louie, Dennis Parsons
- University of Lethbridge: Pamela Adams, Dawn Burleigh, Carmen Mombourquette
- University of Alberta: Darryl Hunter, Bonnie Stelmach
- Concordia University of Edmonton: Edgar Schmidt