Dr. Xu Zhao, Ed.D
Werklund School of Education, Specialization, Counselling Psychology
Doctor of Education Human Development and Psychology, Harvard University, 2011
Areas of Research
Dr. Zhao's research in North America and China explores one broad question: Facing rampant achievement anxiety and social stress, how can educators and parents promote children's academic success and at the same time protect their mental health and socioemotional well-being? Her research in China has focused on understanding how children's social, moral, and civic development is influenced by the education system, parental practices, and broader social, economic and historical processes. Her research in Canada focuses on the mental health, well-being, and success of ethnic minority youth and families. The applied goal of her research is to understand the knowledge, skills and opportunities that help individuals and communities transcend cultural differences, overcome cultural barriers and prejudices, and support the healthy and successful development of children, families, and communities in a multi-cultural society. The theoretical and critical agenda underlying her research activities is, in the words of Michael W. Apple, to "explicate the manifest and latent or coded reflections of modes of material production, ideological values, class relations, and structures of social power—racial and sexual as well as politico economic—on the state of consciousness of people in a precise historical or socio-economic situation." Dr. Zhao serves on the editorial board of the Journal of Moral Education. She also consults for schools and community programs in Canada and China on the promotion of children's long-term positive development.
- Youth social, moral and civic development
- Child and youth mental health
- Preventive intervention program development
- Cross-cultural transitions
- Qualitative research methods
|Course number||Course title||Semester|
|EDUC 309 SEC 01 S01||Early Childhood Development||Fall 2021|
|EDPS 611||Qualitative Research Methodologies||Spring 2021|
|EDER 655.14||Developing resilient youth||Winter 2022|
|EDPS 693||Child Development||Winter 2022|
- On-going: Promoting Youth Mental Health and Well-being in Schools and Communities (PI). Supported by UCalgary International Collaborative Grant, Werklund Dean's Office grant, Werklund Teaching and Learning Grant, and Werklund Community Engagement Grant, and Goldian International Gift and Research Contract.
- 2020-2022. Promising practices for children and youth: A model of Canada-China collaboration (Co-Investigator). SSHRC Partnership Grant.
- 2017-2020. Early Childhood Bilingual Education and Parental Practice in China (PI). Supported by Goldian International Gift and Research Contract.
- 2016-2018. Young Newcomer Social Integration in Canadian Schools (PI). SSHRC Insight Development Grant. "Barriers and Bridges: An Integrated Approach to Understanding the Process of Newcomer Social Integration in Canadian High Schools".
- 2016-2018. An Inter-Professional Approach to Innovative Research and Practices with Newcomers (Co-PI). UCalgary Human Dynamics Research Grant.
- Harvard Chen Yidan Visiting Global Fellow, Harvard Graduate School of Education . 2021
- Harvard Gutman Library Distinguished Book Author, 2016
- University of Calgary Werklund Postdoctoral Fellowship (2014-2017), 2014
- Association of Moral Education (AME) Dissertation Award Finalist, 2013
- Harvard China Fund Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2011
- Harvard Graduate School of Education Qualifying Paper Passed with Distinction, 2007
- Council of Alumni for Social Enterprises (CASE) Fellowship, 2006
- Harvard Graduate School of Education Entering Award (2003-2005), 2003
- Shenzhen Polytechnic Teaching Award, 1998
- Tan, S., He, H., Jiang, L., Zhao, X., Selman, R. L. Beijing international review of education. (2021)
- Zhao, X., Chen, Z., Bao, L. . Oxford Encyclopedia of Research in Education. (2021)
- Selman, R.L., Snow, C. Zhao, X., Zhou, J. . SDX Joint Publishing Company. (2020)
- Zhao, X., & Selman, R. L. Qualitative Psychology. (2019)
- Luke; K Dooley; M Mu; Xu Zhao; A Luke; Selman R L. Routledge. 220-245. (2018)
- M Gao; McJunkin; T Fillippino; Xu Zhao; Y Zheng. IGI Global.. 236-254. (2018)
- Zhao. X.. Berkeley Review of Education. (2016)
- Zhao. X.. New York: Palgrave MacMillan. (2015)
- Zhao, X., Haste, H., Selman, R. L., & Luan, Z. . Youth & Society. (2014)
- Zhao, X., Selman, R. L. & Haste, H. . Cogent Education. (2014)
- Zhao, X. & Gao, M.. Journal of Adolescent Research. (2014)
- Zhao, X., & Haste, H. . Berkeley Review of Education. (2012)
In the News
- Newcomer Youth Social Integration in Canadian Schools. 770 CHQR Global News Radio . (2019)
- Young immigrants ‘friendly but not friends’ with other high school students, researchers say. The Star. (2019)
- Newcomers and Canadian high school students are friendly, but not friends.. UToday. (2019)
- Syndicated interviews on newcomer social intergration research with 9 stations across Canada. CBC Radio One . (2019)
- Are your dreams over if you fail that exam? Finding ways to overcome anxiety disorders in schoolkids. Explore UCalgary . (2018)
- Growing ties between U.S. and Asia are helping schools on both side of Pacific. The Washington Post . (2016)
- Report on the project of academic stress in Chinese schools. The Harvard Crimson. (2015)
- Daybreak Asia. Voice of America. (2014)
- Don’t go overboard praising China’s schools.. The Washington Post. (2014)
Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.