- One-to-one adult literacy program
- Age of Participants: Young Adults (17+)
- Program Locations: University of Calgary main campus
- Pre-service teachers will participate in a 30-minute Werklund orientation session in early October to get more information about the service-learning program and related logistics.
- Participants will also attend a 2-hour orientation session in November, followed by a training session mid-November. The orientation and training sessions will introduce participants to IPSE's philosophy and values, as well as a schedule and structure for facilitating literacy sessions.
- Pre-service teachers will be paired with a current IPSE student for the duration of their placement, and work with IPSE staff and the student to identify how best to meet the students' individualized learning needs.
- Participants will create and deliver literacy-based lessons for the student they are paired with on an ongoing basis. Content of lessons will be determined in collaboration with the student and the Educational Facilitator they work with.
- Pre-service teachers need a current Police Information Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening (issued after July 1, 2021). Students who do not already have a police check should begin this process at their local police station as soon as possible, as police checks often take 4-6 weeks to process.
- Participants will be required to sign an Oath of Confidentiality during their training session with IPSE.
- After applying, participants will participate in a brief interview with the IPSE team to determine best bit for both pre-service teacher and the IPSE program.
Fall 2023 applications are now closed.
Winter 2024 Applications will open on November 20, 2024.
Ready to apply?
1. Log on to Elevate
2. Go to Werklund School of Education > My Werklund Experiences
3. Click on Courses/Programs
4. Find the Service-Learning program and click Apply
5. Complete the Service-Learning Application on Step 1