Night on Campus

Four-Year Community-Based Bachelor of Education

Why choose this pathway

A Unique Pathway

Drawing on the Werklund School of Education’s strong foundation of innovation, and on the strengths of an excellent undergraduate program, the Four-Year Community-Based Bachelor of Education addresses issues of access and equity by providing a unique pathway to obtain a Bachelor of Education. This program was developed to attract students interested in pursuing a Bachelor of Education, but unable to commit to a residency-based program. The program thus hopes to mitigate the high turnover rate of teachers in rural and remote areas.

To do so, this degree will allow you to to remain in your home community for the majority of your studies, while receiving excellent instruction and advisory support from the University of Calgary. You will also gain teaching experience in your local community through your Field Experience practicum placements. 

While you are able to remain in, or near, your home community for the majority of your program, you will take courses on-campus each Summer, providing you with the opportunity to work with your cohort in a face-to-face environment. You will also attend an Orientation in your first year, and are afterward invited to various program sessions, allowing you to connect with the faculty and staff of the Werklund School of Education. A number of our Experiential Learning opportunities are also a great fit for distance engagement!

Delivery Method

You will take the majority of your courses online, and complete your Field Experiences in - or as near as is possible to - your home community. As the Bachelor of Education is a professional degree, you are encouraged to devote yourself to your studies on a full-time basis. However, if necessary, you are able to expand your program over more than four years.

Geographic Eligibility

Preference for admission into this program is given to students in rural and remote areas of Alberta. As field experience (practicum) placements can be arranged across Alberta, the Territories, and in rural and remote British Columbia, students in these areas may also be considered.

Please Note: Graduates of this program will meet the teacher certification requirements for the Province of Alberta. Certification in other jurisdictions is not guaranteed.

Interested in the 2024 Four-Year Community-Based intake? Stay tuned for our Fall 2024 Future Student Webinar series! Learn more!

Important dates and upcoming events


  1. Know your admission requirements

    First, select your teachable by reviewing our subject area guide, and the available options for this pathway, below. You can also check out our FAQs.

  2. Dates and deadlines

    Review application dates and deadlines. Note that this pathway only offers a summer term intake.

  3. Documents and transcripts

    Learn about transcripts and other supporting documents required for application with Admissions' detailed guide on what to submit, how, and when.

  4. Explore application resources

    Admissions' has a number of resources to help you navigate the application process. If applicable, you may also consider reviewing the information for applying under the Diverse Qualifications or Indigenous Admissions processes.


  5. Apply

    When you're ready, submit your application online. Start with Admissions' guide to applying.

Geographic Eligibility

Preference for admission is given to students in rural and remote areas of Alberta. Students across Alberta, the Territories, and in rural and remote British Columbia may also be considered.

Please Note: Graduates of this program will meet the teacher certification requirements for the Province of Alberta. Certification in other jurisdictions is not guaranteed.

Grades Required

This program admits competitively, meaning that we have more applicants than seats available. Check out Admissions' Explore pages for more information on average ranges.

Police Information Check

A current, clear Police Information Check, with a Vulnerable Sector Check, is required of all Bachelor of Education students for the field experience component of the program. Students who are unable to present a current and clear check will not be placed in their field experience courses – a graduating requirement of the degree – and be asked to leave the program.

A Check is not required until your field course terms. As checks are time-sensitive, do not apply for one before instructed to do so by our Field Team! In the meantime, check out our Police Information Checks page.

K-12 Route and Teachables

When applying, you will need to select a teachable subject area. Each teachable has differing admission requirements: find out what options you have, below, and then check out the associated admission requirements. All teachables in the Community-Based Four-Year are in the 'K-12' route (or, kindergarten through grade twelve). Visit our Teachable Subject Areas page for more details!

  1. K-12 route teachable subject areas

    • Early Childhood Education (Note: Emphasis on grades kindergarten through three)
    • English Language Arts
    • Mathematics
    • Science
    • Social Studies
    • Social Studies - Revitalization of Indigenous Languages

Questions about the application process? Get in touch with Admissions

Bridging Pathway

The Bridging to the Community-Based Bachelor of Education pathway provides students who do not present the course English Language Arts 30-1, or meet the competitive admitting average for their desired teachable subject area, the opportunity to upgrade for admission into the Four-Year degree. The same geographic eligibility requirements mandated for the Community-Based program apply.

The Community-Based cohort felt like exactly that – a community. My cohort was a unique blend of students for whom the traditional model of post-secondary education did not fit. It was because of this unique community that we felt more like a family rather than students within a classroom.

Ngatai Crowchild

BEd graduate

Suggested program sequence

Summer term courses will take place on-campus, during a two-week intensive in July. Fall and Winter term courses are offered via distance, or involve your in-classroom field experiences in your home community. Bridging students should review their suggested program sequence via their program's site.

Note: Many students also choose to complete non-Education course requirements in the Spring term! If this is of interest to you, we suggest reaching out to our Advisors to talk about options and impacts.

Year 1

Summer Term

EDUC 201

Fall Term

EDUC 420 | EDUC 430 | EDUC 435 | EDUC 440 (Field I)

Winter Term

2 Teachables | Canadian Studies | Math or Science | Psychology

Year 2

Summer Term

EDUC 460

Fall Term

2 Teachables | Literature | Health | Elective

Winter Term

EDUC 445 | EDUC 450 | EDUC 456 | EDUC 465 (Field II)

Year 3

Summer Term

EDUC 427

Fall Term

2 Teachables | Fine Arts | 2 Electives

Winter Term

2 Teachables | 2 Electives

Interested in the Honours pathway? Apply this year!

Year 4

Summer Term

EDUC 525 | EDUC 535

Fall Term*

EDUC 521 | EDUC 530 | EDUC 540 (Field III)

*Opportunity to participate in Teaching Across Borders

Winter Term

EDUC 551 | EDUC 556 | EDUC 56X Series | EDUC 560 (Field IV)

Degree structure

Whether you are just starting your post-secondary studies, or have already completed a handful of courses, the Four-Year Community-Based pathway can work for you! Check out our 'plans' below, to see which fits you best!

The four-year plan is for students just starting their studies, or wanting to take lighter non-Education semesters. Ensure to refer to our Registration Guide for specific EDUC enrolment information.

  1. Year 1

    Summer: EDUC 201 (On-Campus at the University of Calgary)

    Fall: EDUC 420; 430; 435; 440 (University of Calgary Online + In-School Field Experience)

    Winter: Letter of Permission Term

  2. Year 2

    Summer: EDUC 460 (On-Campus at the University of Calgary)

    Fall: Letter of Permission Term

    Winter: EDUC 445; 450; 456; 465 (University of Calgary Online + In-School Field Experience)

  3. Year 3

    Summer: EDUC 427 (On-Campus at the University of Calgary)

    Fall: Letter of Permission Term

    Winter: Letter of Permission Term

  4. Year 4

    Summer: EDUC 525; 535 (On-Campus at the University of Calgary)

    Fall: EDUC 521; 530; 540 (University of Calgary Online + In-School Field Experience)

    Winter: EDUC 551; 556; 56X Series; 560 (University of Calgary Online + In-School Field Experience)

The three-year plan is for students who have already completed a number of post-secondary courses, and are hoping to compress their studies. Typically, this would work for students who have completed 7 - 10 applicable non-Education courses. Ensure to refer to  our Registration Guide for specific EDUC enrolment information.

  1. Year 1

    Summer: EDUC 201 (On-Campus at the University of Calgary)

    Fall: EDUC 420; 430; 435; 440 (University of Calgary Online + In-School Field Experience)

    Winter: Letter of Permission Term

  2. Year 2

    Summer: EDUC 427; 460 (On-Campus at the University of Calgary)

    Fall: Finish Non-Education Courses

    Winter: EDUC 445; 450; 456; 465 (University of Calgary Online + In-School Field Experience)

  3. Year 3

    Summer: EDUC 525; 535 (On-Campus at the University of Calgary)

    Fall: EDUC 521; 530; 540 (University of Calgary Online + In-School Field Experience)

    Winter: EDUC 551; 556; 56X Series; 560 (University of Calgary Online + In-School Field Experience)

Students Studying

Starting the Journey

"I have been very excited to finally start my journey to become a teacher. I have always thought about going to school, but the financial restraints and time and distance away from my family from moving away seemed like too much for me to take on. This program has really given me the opportunity to start."

 - Gina Grabowski, BEd graduate

Specific program requirements

All Four-Year Community-Based students will complete 120 units, comprised of 21 EDUC major courses, 6 foundational courses, 5 electives, and 8 teachable subject area courses. The breakdowns for each requirement group are below.

Check out the Calendar for a detailed list of your eight required teachable courses, by subject area.


English or French Literature | Psychology | Fine Arts | Science (can also be fulfilled by Mathematics) | Canadian Studies | Health and Wellness


All students must take 5 elective courses.

Considering the Honours pathway? Your Honours classes can also meet elective requirements! Because admission and coursework doesn't occur until the final year of your program, we encourage you to connect with an Advisor to chat about how to plan your degree!

Distance-Learning University of Calgary EDUC Courses

You may want to consider taking at least one of our 200- level series of EDUC courses, which are offered online, and can be used to fulfill your Electives. Please note that these courses have pathway restrictions, and enrolment is opened space-pending. If you are interested in taking one of these courses, please add your email to our web-form.

Once admitted into the program, you may complete your non-Education courses at other institutions, closer to your home community, or online, via a Letter of Permission process. This process ensures that the non-Education classes you choose to take will be accepted for transfer credit and fit into your degree requirements. Letters of Permission are only available to current University of Calgary students.

You must submit a Letter of Permission for each semester in which you are planning to take non-Education classes. You should adhere to the deadlines found in the Letter of Permission Guide. If you are hoping to attend more than one institution in a given term, you should consult with your advisors about how to submit such request for review, and should also consult with the University's Financial Aid office, due to complications surrounding the funding of taking courses through multiple institutions.

Steps for Submitting Your Letter of Permission

1. First, refer to the 'Suggested program sequence' (above), or, if you have received transfer credit upon admission, to your Academic Requirements report, in order to determine what non-Education courses you need to complete in a given semester.

2. Then, utilize Transfer Alberta to ensure that the courses you are interested in taking will be accepted for transfer credit.

3. Contact an advisor in the Undergraduate Programs in Education office at, to confirm that the courses selected will work towards your degree’s requirements.

4. Submit your Letter of Permission online via your MyUofC, following the details in the Guide.

5. PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL YOUR LETTER if you are only intending to make changes to you course selections. You cannot submit more than one letter per term.

Unfortunately, cancelling a Letter simply removes that semester from your term options. Per Step 3 above, please consult with an advisor prior to submitting your letter. If necessary, your advisors can make changes to your submitted letter. In this case, it is up to you to consult any resources necessary to ensure that your ‘new’ courses will be accepted for credit, and will fulfill remaining degree requirements. Transfer credit will be processed regardless of whether or not the course was listed on the original Letter of Permission request, however, it is not guaranteed to fit into your degree requirements.

Getting Transfer Credit for Letter of Permission Courses

Transcripts for Letter of Permission courses are due annually on June 1st, covering all courses completed during the proceeding academic year. Students who do not submit transcripts may have future EDUC courses registration blocked, or future Letters of Permission remain unapproved.

If not able to be obtained electronically through the Letter of Permission process (Ie, Out-of-province or non-participating institutions), transcripts should be sent to Admissions.

Non-Education Course Suggestions

In order to remain in your home community, you will take your non-Education classes through distance learning institutions, or other post-secondary campuses close to you. To start, you can check out our PDFs of 'pre-vetted' course suggestions from the below institutions.

If you're hoping to take courses not found on those PDFs, or through other post-secondary institutions - such as those within acceptable commuting distance of your home - you should first consult with the Transfer Alberta guide, as well as your advisors.

You will need to submit what is known as a 'Letter of Permission' to ensure that the courses you have selected from other institutions will be accepted for transfer credit, and will fulfill your degree requirements. Make sure to thoroughly review the information contained in the 'Letter of Permission'  tab.

Lakeland College

Check out our suggested courses from Lakeland College.

Click here

Northern Lakes College

Check out our suggested courses from Northern Lakes College.

Click here

Portage College

Check out our suggested courses from Portage College.

Click here

Athabasca University

Check out our suggested courses from Athabasca University.

Click here

Thompson Rivers University

Check out our suggested courses from Thompson Rivers University.

Click here

Please note that the University of Calgary does not provide students with an assessment of transfer credit prior to formal admission. No transfer credit ever applies to Education major courses: you must complete all mandated EDUC classes in order to obtain your degree. Any transfer credit awarded can only work towards fulfilling non-Education classes. Previously completed coursework that is more than ten years old, either from other post-secondary institutions or the University of Calgary, will not ordinarily be used towards any degree requirements.

Future Students can utilize Transfer Credit at UCalgary and Transfer Alberta in the meantime.

If you are a newly admitted student, check out the Registrar's guide to enrolling as a transfer student. You should additionally utilize your Academic Requirements report to see how your prior courses fit into your degree. If Academic Requirements is not assigning a course to a particular requirement - and you think that it should be  - send us an email at for further review!

A few regulations that we think you should know about:

  1. Students cannot take non-Education courses during Education semesters. This is because Education semesters are jam-packed, and full of the academic rigours entirely appropriate for a professional degree program. While you can certainly take advantage of Spring and Summer semesters to fit in additional classes for lighter semester loads (or to catch-up), you should be mindful of your July Education courses, and plan for the pre-readings or post-class assignments.
  2. You must have finished all non-Education courses before entering your final year of 500-level Education classes. Ideally, you will not have more than one year between your last 400-level EDUC term, and you 500-level Education classes.
  3. Per Calendar Regulation 3.3, you must maintain a 2.50 GPA each semester, including over courses taken at other institutions. Withdrawal maximums also apply to non-Education courses taken elsewhere.
  4. You cannot have more than two D/D+ grades within your eight teachable subject area courses. If you exceed this, you will need to re-take/add a teachable subject area course in order to meet graduating requirements.


All University of Calgary students must use their accounts for any and all University of Calgary or degree-related correspondence. Email will not be sent to personal accounts.

You must additionally ensure to include your eight-digit UCID number in all correspondence.

Non-Standard Scheduling

Please note that Education courses are scheduled with 'non-standard' dates and times, and may differ from those semester timelines that you are used to in your non-Education courses. You should anticipate courses or field experiences that run outside of regular semester dates.

Synchronous Sessions

Your Fall and Winter Education courses are paced - and do have deadlines - as well as ‘digital classroom’ components. Classroom sessions are known as ‘synchronous sessions’, in which your class will connect simultaneously via the Zoom conferencing platform.

Classes usually have around four synchronous sessions per semester, often scheduled for around 4.30pm or later. You should refer to the Zoom schedule via your Registration Guide for more information.

Student Information

As a student in professional program, it is your responsibility to thoroughly review and abide by the information contained in the following pages:

Northern Lakes students: missed our Future NLC Student Community-Based Webinar? Connect with us!

Summer on Campus

Summer Residency Series

Each July, our Community-Based students join us on campus for Summer term courses, orientation activities, and to connect. Visit our Summer Residency Series site for details on dates, sessions, and more!

Summer Residency Series

Understanding your fees

Fee breakdown

Tuition for all Bachelor of Education programs is assessed as it is in other undergraduate programs: on a course by course basis. We've also collated a number of resources specifically for Community-Based students.

Visit Community-Based resources

Cost Estimator

To help estimate your expenses, you can take advantage of the Cost Estimator. This will help you approximate your Education semester costs. For your non-Education semesters, please refer to the institution at which you plan to take those courses directly.

Use the estimator

Undergraduate fees

The Calendar has a breakdown of each academic year's fees.

Review program fees

Werklund awards

The Werklund School of Education offers a number of awards and scholarships.

Learn about Werklund awards