- Participating pre-service teachers will work with CPO musicians to support PhilKids online one afternoon a week.
- PhilKids' emphasis is on developing students' social skills through music. Pre-service teachers are especially encouraged to work with the instructors to support social learning in the classroom.
- Pre-service teachers need a current Police Information Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening (issued after July 1, 2021). Students who do not already have a police check should begin this process at their local police station as soon as possible, as police checks often take 4-6 weeks to process.
- Pre-service teachers will be asked to participate in a phone interview before attending the first session.
- A musical background, while helpful, is not necessary. Participating pre-service teachers will instead serve in a supporting role in the classroom, drawing on their education background and experiences working with children and youth.
- Examine a variety of approaches to teaching and learning in non-traditional educational settings
- Examine how educators apply teaching concepts in their daily work
- Examine how teaching and learning take place in other contexts
- Gain experience working with youth in a classroom setting
- Gain experience working with youth in a small group setting