The Werklund School of Education is committed to working alongside and learning from Indigenous Elders, leaders, and communities. As part of Connecting Land to Teaching Pedagogy, Bachelor of Education students are invited to attend a full day field trip to Blackfoot Crossing in Fall 2020. Pre-service teachers will work with Traditional Knowledge Keepers and Werklund faculty to better understand how they can incorporate the land into their teaching.
This opportunity includes a series of land- and place-based experiences that will increase participants' understanding of Indigenous ways of knowing, and better prepare them to integrate different Indigenous perspectives in their teaching. Participants will also have the opportunity to share their experiences with other students and contribute more richly to discussions in EDUC 530: Indigenous Education.
- $30, which covers transportation to and from Blackfoot Crossing as well as access to two guided tours
- Participants must bring gear appropriate for the weather and environment (e.g., walking/light hiking gear)
- Activities may include walking and light hiking for up to 90 minutes at a time
- We strongly suggest that participants only bring essential items, as you are not able to carry items with you during the interior tours. Lockers are available for storing personal items, but we suggest against bringing valuables or other items that you will not need during the day.
- Participants should bring their own lunch as we are not able to provide meals as part of this trip.
- This trip is recommended to students taking EDUC 530 however it is open to all Bachelor of Education students regardless of your program, route, or year of study.
- Participants will be required to complete an informed consent waiver before boarding the bus for the trip.
- Registration and payment must be received at least one week ahead of the field trip. As space is limited, spots will be given in the order that students submit the registration fee.
- This trip requires a minimum of 25 students in order to run. If fewer than 25 students register, we will issue refunds to those students who were interested in attending.
This year's trip to Blackfoot Crossing will take place in Fall 2020. The agenda is as follows:
- 8:30am: Bus Departs University of Calgary
- 10:00-10:30am: Arrive at Blackfoot Crossing, welcome and site orientation
- 10:30am-12:00pm: First tour. Tours include an indoor tour of the Blackfoot Crossing Museum, as well as an outdoor guided tour of the land around Blackfoot Crossing.
- 12:00-1:00pm: Lunch on your own
- 1:00-2:30pm: Second tour, as above
- 2:30-3:00pm: Time on your own (exploring the site, restroom break)
- 3:00-4:30pm: Bus returns to University of Calgary
Interested in this opportunity? Registration for Fall 2020 will be posted in September