Journey 2050 is a full day educational experience for grades 7-12 at the Nutrien Western Event Centre on Stampede Park. Journey 2050 takes students on a virtual simulation exploring world food sustainability, engaging and empowering students to think deeper and understand their impact on the world around them.
As Journey 2050 Facilitators, participating pre-service teachers will work with Journey 2050 teachers and staff to support field school and virtual activities for groups attending Journey 2050 over an 8-week period. Participants will shadow expert facilitators, learn content, and work with the team to develop in-person and virtual activities which they will have the opportunity to facilitate in person or virtually.
Any Bachelor of Education Student
Sustainable agriculture inquiry-based classroom program for Grades 7-12
Individual dates and times will vary based on program schedules and participant availability.
In total, pre-service teachers agree to commit to a minimum of 35-50 hours for their Service-Learning experience
Stampede Park - 1410 Olympic Way SE, Calgary, AB
Nutrien Western Event Centre
- Support Journey 2050 activities for 6-8 weeks, providing one-on-one support, leading small group activities, discussions, and leading larger discussions with attending classes.
- In their first week, participants will meet with the Journey 2050 team and will be introduced to the program content.
- With support from Calgary Stampede Journey 2050 teachers and staff, participants will shadow virtual sessions to acquire an understanding of the flow and planning that goes into the development of each session. Participants will then begin to develop inquiry activities that utilize Journey 2050 content. Participants will receive feedback from the Journey 2050 team and eventually adapt and focus lessons based on a specific class.
- In their final two weeks, participants will attend as many segments as possible before presenting and facilitating the activity that they have developed.
- This program is a particularly good fit for participants who are comfortable in virtual environments and are interested in sustainability and food systems.
- Pre-service teachers need a current Police Information Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening (issued after July 1, 2021. Students who do not already have a police check should begin this process at their local police station as soon as possible, as police checks often take 4-6 weeks to process.
- In addition, participating pre-service teachers will require a Backcheck record check. Participants will receive more information about this online record check process once they have been matched to the opportunity.
Werklund Dates and Times
- Applications Open: November 22, 2021
- Applications Close: December 5, 2021
- Werklund Orientation: December 10, 2021
- Werklund Check-In Session #1: February 8, 2022
- Werklund Check-In Session #2: March 8, 2022
Journey 2050 Dates
- Program Dates: January – March
- Individual dates and times will vary based on program schedules and participant availability.
- For example, participants may support a consistent half-day each week, or plan a varying schedule aligned with program opportunities, in coordination with the Journey 2050 team
- Week 1:
- Journey 2050 Support / Site Orientation
- Weeks 2-6:
- Journey 2050 Support
- Activity Planning Meetings
- Week 7 & 8: Journey 2050 Session Leadership & Support
In total, pre-service teachers agree to commit to a minimum of 35-50 hours for their service-learning experience
- Throughout the semester, pre-service teachers will curate their service experiences using a creative medium (e.g., photos, art, storyboarding, videos, etc.) that best reflects their experiences in the program. Your creative reflections will form part of a public showcase of Werklund’s service-learning program later in the year.
- Pre-service teachers will participate in 2 group meetings: one at the mid-point and another at the end of their placement (1 hour each). These group meetings provide pre-service teachers with opportunities to reflect on the service-learning experience, and to guide improvements for the program.
Applications are now open. To start an application: 1. Log in to Elevate 2. Go to My Werklund Experiences 3. Click View on Courses/Programs 4. Click Apply on the Service-Learning program. 5. Complete and submit the application questions. Apply Here !